Saturday, November 8, 2008

Photos up (see below)

Hello friends!
I was able to get 7 photos to load on this blog (see first and second posts below). BTW, the peace signs from the children were unsolicited. Unfortunately, the other photos I'd like to show you would not load. I'll try again another time but hope you scroll down and find the ones I have posted so far. A picture is worth 1000 words, or so I hear. And I must say, as much as I am enjoying writing this blog, I've been concerned about the number of words and whether or not you will find it overwhelming. I would appreciate your feedback regarding this.
I started work at a new school this week. It's in a new neighborhood and has some amazing views of the fall foliage and colors. My classroom construction will be completed by Monday and I will get a photo to share with you (such a view from my classroom!). I have been teaching the hokey pokey to first and second graders (and singing the alphabet too) and talking about feelings and playing hangman with the fifth and sixth graders (and still need to figure out what to do with the third and fourth graders next week). I get one of three reactions from the children: they either want to connect with me (high five, or hello!, or love notes) or they stare at me, completely frozen until I look back, or they are afraid of me and can't speak at all. I feel like a celebrity when I'm anywhere near the school, but especially in the cafeteria.
I'm excited to not be the only foreigner (there is a 55 year old New Zealand man who has been teaching at this school since March who is a laugh a minute). There will be a new Korean teacher working with me, who will start on Monday and I met the Korean teacher who will replace Lexy on Friday and I think she will be easy to work with. One of the parents is so happy to have me at this new school that she bought me a beautifully decorated huge basket full of large, sweet, and juicy apples (about 25 of them) and I was both dumbfounded and touched by her generosity and love. I feel very welcomed by this new school and look forward to getting settled into a regular routine in a couple of weeks (although it is so far away I will probably need to move again).
I'm thrilled to hear that Obama will be moving into the White House come Jan.! Lexy shared the news with me quite formally and I couldn't believe it at first. I cried for over an hour from relief and celebration. I so longed to be with all of you to celebrate and yet folks here were celebrating as well (although I think only another activist can really understand how I felt). Many Koreans are similar to Americans in their political apathy and distain for politicians but seeing my passion about the voting process (I had many challenges in trying to vote from here and due to the timing ended up doing so via fax machine) were moved to learn more and discuss why I find it so important, which was fun for me and often moved me to tears-I so long for democracies to be run by the people in them! Power to the people!
I'm off to Seoul for the day, to hook up with friends and do some shopping too.
Love,
Terri
P.S. I watched the film zeitgeist last night, finally (www.zeitgeistmovie.com). If you have not seen it yet, I highly recommend it. Perhaps we have already proven that love conquers fear with the election results (although not in the case of Prop 8, unfortunately)?

No comments: